How to Avoid Losing Highly Talented Employees During a Recession Period?
Emmanuel Guobadia, HR Consultant, Nigeria, Member
Many organizations tend to lose highly talented employees during periods of recession. It is important to imbibe certain principles to prevent this unwanted effect. To enable us to retain our '5 star employees' during restructuring, redundancy or demobilization exercises during a recession period, following things can be considered:
- Generate a list of top talented employees based on knowledge, skills and attitude as verifiable from performance appraisal records.
- Offer a lower rate as part of the mitigating plans to keep good hands.
- Deploy excellent employees to areas where they may be needing more people rather than engaging fresh employees there.
- Use the opportunity to develop and train 5 star employees using internal facilitators to learn new skills that may be useful during peak periods.
- Place high performers on shift patterns e.g. 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off.
- Communicate, communicate and communicate to give...