Qualifications for Six Sigma Project Leaders
Matthias Bittrich, Business Consultant, Germany
1. I strongly recommend a person with at least a Black Belt
qualification, a Master BB would be even better, of course.
2. His project list should contain a few difficult projects which did not run through easily, he needs to be a challenged person
3. He should fit with the customer´s culture
: if he wears a tie on a factory site he won´t get the acceptance he needs, vice versa wearing jeans for a banking project is out of style, too.
4. He should be experienced in change management
same as in presentation skills. Most projects fail because of the human factor, so being a method specialist is not enough.
5. It is not the job of a BB to do strategy consulting, he reacts on quality and customer problems and supports the staff and leaders in finding solutions together
. The maximum is delivering benchmark data of leading competitors which can be used for the analyze and improve phases.
6. He must have statistics-software skills
, for example in leading tools like Minitab.
7. I recommend a BB who is experienced in lean management.