Socrates and Action Learning?
The Socratic Method - which he used more than 2000 years ago – still works and has many similarities to an Action Learning approach. For example what about Socratic Circles for Business
? Follow the steps below with some facilitation:
1. Business assigns an agreed strategic challenge question to participants (12+).
2. Participants read and familiarise themselves with the challenge.
3. Participants are divided into two concentric dialogue circles.
4. The inner circle reads the challenge out and considers this by asking questions for about 15 minutes, while the outer circle silently observes.
5. The outer circle evaluates the inner circle’s conversation and provides feedback to the inner circle.
6. Participants switch circles.
7. The new inner circle discusses the challenge for 15 minutes and then is given ten minutes of feedback by the outer circle.
8. The whole group discusses learning and insights gained to help tackle the business challenge.
Simple enough, fun and may be very useful in generating insights for addressing a business challenge?