Comparing Appraisals with Examinations
Appraisals are to employees what examinations are to students.
Examinations have undergone several changes and so have appraisals. I try to list some features and hope with this similarity our understanding of appraisal systems will improve.
1. Examinations used to be annual
- now more tests are given. In too many companies, the appraisal system still remains an annual exercise.
2. Examinations used to be descriptive
and bring out creativity of people. In order to be more objective they have become multiple choice systems. The same has happened to appraisals. A mix of descriptive and multiple choice questions could be better.
3. In examinations, only the examiners examine
. Likewise in most appraisal systems the appraisor decides everything. Some level of self appraisal could be better.
4. Overall examination systems have a better reputation
than appraisal systems.
I invite other members to bring out further criteria for further elaboration.