Mentor Traits and Requirements
In the workplace, FEAR often stops good mentoring; holding on to information, they may want my job.
A good mentor has to have the following attributes / traits
(the culture of a company
can influence this and should):
- Openness, don't hold anything back
- Wanting to see others succeed and grow
- Empower with information and skills
. A mentor need not be the manager
- Having no vested interest
- Gives objective advice and encouragement.
These are highly important and valuable people skills, but managers are too often focused on other issues.