Behavior of people is important from the perspective of both companies and people.
- Humans interpret other humans based on their behavior and determine our fondness or friendliness upon it.
- Similar tactics are adopted by companies to decide upon their target audience based on their behavior. Once the behavior is identified then it becomes easy to target the user. While sponsoring a product on Facebook, brands or companies sort out their audience based on their behavior.
WHAT IS BEHAVIORAL SEGMENTATION? DEFINITION
Behavioral Segmentation (BS) is in marketing the approach or process of dividing the total market into smaller homogeneous groups or even individual persons based on the (buying) behavior of customers or prospective customers.
Companies can apply BS both online and offline. For example, Amazon uses BS to recommend products and music apps analyze users' behavior to recommended other songs. Customized Google ads visible on the videos we watch is also a form of BS. Artificial intelligence distinguishes target audiences based on their behavior like watching a particular video or a channel we subscribe to or a website we visit. AI takes time to learn the behavior of a person and then starts showing results based on person behavior.
Today it has become easy for a business to collect user data and track user behavior. Due to digital tools like apps and websites companies can track the activities of customers like the source that drove a customer to the website, the product he or she added into the cart and past experiences.
CATEGORIES OF BEHAVIORAL SEGMENTATION
A customer can be segmented based on follower behaviors among others:
- Usage and Consumption of a product/service
- Purchasing behavior
- Timing or Occasion
- Customer Loyalty
- Benefits sought
- Buyer journey stage
SOME MARKETING STRATEGIES USED IN BEHAVIOR SEGMENTATION
Here are the typical processes and methods that are being used in BS:
- Tracking activities over various websites and apps
- Analyzing this data in order to understand the customer behavior, like what his specific needs are
- Price by device
- Complimentary products
- Product suggestions or recommendation