Add Unlearning to Kotter's Change Phase Model
Even when a lot has been discussed about why change process don't succeed and various points have been outlined, but I feel that the power of unlearning has been left out
in all these discussion so far. Even Kotter's change theory does not talk about unlearning, which could be an essential step to achieve change.
When we talk about the change phase model, I advise to include unlearning. Unlearning can be achieved through seven factors
1. Thinking and action - unlearn old and outdated way of thinking, your action will change.
2. Aspirations - there is a need to avoid multitasking and focus on bigger issues to achieve desired change.
3. Relationships - in today's networked world, we need to develop new relationships with people and environment. We need to unlearn the old ones.
4. Religion - we should not allow God to come in between achieving desired change. We must try to understand God in current perspective for change.
5. Hierarchy - change is mostly initiated by younger people in the organisation. It is important that existing hierarchical structures are unlearned to achieve change.
6. Example - we must create a godfather from existing resources. We must use some books, quotations and websites to work as a godfather. Change will come easily.
7. Wisdom domain - it is difficult to take day to day tough decisions on the way towards change. If we fix some wisdom domain which is taken for granted, it is easy to achieve change.
I am sure that a better inclusion and understanding of unlearning will help to achieve change.