Just-in-time Needs Flexibility Eric Schmitz, Consultant, Belgium, SIG Leader Of course, Just-in-time needs a flexible manufacturing system.
But actually, this flexibility has several aspects. For a proper functioning JIT-system, flexibility is required towards:
* Changes in product demand: the process and the efficiency of the process has to be under control to deal with variable demand.
* Changes in product mix: same as for product demand changes
* Changes in product design: manufacturing equipment, machinery and tools have to be as universal as possible to be able to adapt to small or major changes in the product design.
I am looking forward to your experiences or reactions on flexibility in JIT-Manufacturing.
Basic Conditions for a Flexible Just-in-time
odhiambo tom, Manager, Kenya, Member Just-in-time can only be flexible when following requirements are put in place:
- Proper lead time management;
- Kanban systems
- Buffer stocks
- Limited variation in production output and customer demand.
A flexible just-in-time will be out-of-reach if these requirements are not fulfilled.
Read all responses and join this discussion yourself. Support your career and personal development with 12manage, the management platform.