Management versus Leadership
Warren Bennis, the leadership guru has differentiated leadership from management with two simple acronyms:
1. The management acronym POEM means: ‘Plan, Organise, Execute and Monitor and Measure’. This is quite different from
2. The leadership acronym MAST, which means: ‘Meaning, Attention, Self and Trust’:
(...) Read more? Sign up for free
- MANAGEMENT OF MEANING - what does this mean for us / our company?
- MANAGEMENT OF ATTENTION - if this is important, then we’d better focus on the following activities, and importantly STOP these other activities).
- MANAGEMENT OF SELF is fairly obvious although I’ve seen many leaders transgress this simple principle by contravening their own espoused principles.
- MANAGEMENT OF TRUST is another key leadership element: True leadership will require a special brand of honesty if trust is to be built – this honesty tempers hype with business sense, and filters everything through the organisation’s strategic intent.
Please register now to read all responses and to join this discussion yourself. It's easy and 100% free.
Sign up for free Log in