Options for HR Reductions
David Wilson, Manager, Canada, SIG Leader
You need to look at what the US Government calls a Reduction In Force (RIF
). Options include:
- Buyoffs and early retirement (e.g. voluntary downsizing),
(e.g. hiring freeze),
- Layoffs and dismissals (e.g. forced downsizing),
- Salary reductions (e.g. rollbacks),
- Elimination of vacancies,
- Reduced hours of work (e.g. 4 day work week versus 5 days),
- Reduction in benefits (e.g. lower costs),
- Transfers to vacancies to be retained,
- Unpaid leave of absence,
- Reduced vacations,
- No temporary staff
- No backfill of permanent staff.
This may not be a complete list, but they are options.
Layoffs should (in my opinion) be the last option. Please note, the specific terms used may vary from country to country.