About Organizing as a Management Function
Prasanna, Student (University), Sri Lanka, Member
Organizing is the framework of dividing, grouping and/or coordinating job tasks.
The primary aim of organizing is to 1. divide jobs into departments, 2. coordinate them, 3. cluster the job into the units, 4. establish relationships, 5. establish formal lines of authority and 6. allocate and deploy resources. Most of the organizations are based on such a design.
Even organizational changes have to address these 6 steps. It is easy to address the change via the organizational design:
- Departmentalization (practiced by most of the org)
- Work specialization (practiced after the industrial revolution up to now)
- Chain of command (practiced by most of autocratic organizations)
- Span of control (this will not be in use anymore in future due to virtual org)
- Centralised or decentralised (mostly in government versus private sector)