About Organizing as a Management Function Prasanna, Student (University), Sri Lanka, Member Organizing is the framework of dividing, grouping and/or coordinating job tasks.
The primary aim of organizing is to
Divide jobs into departments
Cluster the jobs into the units
Establish formal lines of authority
Allocate and deploy resources
Most organizations are based on such a design.
Major organizational changes have to address the above 6 things as well. For example, it is possible to address following changes via the organizational design:
- Departmentalization (practiced by most of the org)
- Work specialization (practiced after the industrial revolution up to now)
- Chain of command (practiced by most of autocratic organizations)
- Span of control (this will not be in use anymore in future due to virtual org)
- Centralised or decentralised (mostly in government versus private sector)