Soft Skills List
Peter Toffler, Management Consultant, United States, Member
On the web I found a very good list by LEI HAN. She classifies soft skills into 2 groups:
Soft skills group A: Self Management Skills
1. Self awareness knowing what drives, angers, motivates, embarrasses, frustrates, inspires you
2. Emotion management being able to control unexpected emotions like anger and frustration so you can think clearly and at your optimum.
3. Self-confidence those who believe in themselves have access to unlimited power (wisdom from kungfu panda)
4. Stress management being able to stay calm and balanced in stressful, overwhelming situations
5. Resilience ability to bounce back from a misstep in your job or career
6. Skills to forgive and forget - ability to move on without baggage from a past mistake or something in your career that wronged you
7. Persistence and perseverance ability to overcome challenging situations and obstacles and maintain the same energy
8. Patience ability to step back in an emergency to think clearly or the ability to pause and wait when you are in a rush or want to rush others.
Soft skills group B: People Skills
9. Communication skills - general skills to listen and articulate your ideas in writing and verbally to any audience
10. Presentation skills ability to maintain attention and achieve your desired outcome from presenting to an audience
11. Facilitating skills - ability to coordinate and solicit well represented opinions and feedback from a group with diverse perspectives to reach a common, best solution.
12. Interviewing skills ability to sell your skills as an interviewee or accurately assess others ability or extract the needed information as an interviewer
13. Selling skills this is not just for people in sales. This is the ability to build buy-in to an idea, a decision, an action, a product, or a service
14. Meeting management skills at least 50% of meetings today in corporate america are a waste of time. This is the skill to efficiently and effectively reach productive results from leading a meeting
15. Influence / persuasion skills - ability to influence perspective or decision making but still have the people you influence think they made up their own mind.
16. Team work skills - ability to work effectively with anyone with different skill sets, personalities, work styles, or motivation level
17. Management skills ability to motivate and create a high performing team with people of varied skills, personalities, motivations, and work styles.
18. Leadership skills ability to create and communicate vision and ideas that inspires others to follow with commitment and dedication.
19. Skills in dealing with difficult personalities Ability to work well or manage someone whom you find difficult
20. Skills in dealing with difficult situations Ability to stay calm and still be effective when faced with an unexpected difficult situation.
21. Ability to think / communicate on your feet (under pressure) ability to articulate thoughts in an organized manner even when you are not prepared for the question or situation you are in
22. Networking skills ability to be interesting and interested in business conversations that motivates people to want to be in your network.
23. Interpersonal relationship skills ability to build trust, find common ground, have empathy, and ultimately build good relationships with people you like or in positions of power/influence.
24. Negotiation skills ability to understand the other side and reach a win-win resolution that you find favorably, satisfies both sides, and maintains relationships for future dealings
25. Mentoring / coaching skills ability to provide constructive wisdom, guidance, and/or feedback that can help others further their career development
26. Organizing skills ability to organize business gatherings to facilitate learning, networking, or business transactions
27. Self-promotion skills - ability to subtly promote your skills and work results to people of power or influence in your organization. This will build your reputation and influence.
28. Savvy in handling office politics - office politics is a fact of life in corporate america. This is the ability to understand and deal with office politics so you can protect yourself from unfairness as well as further your career.