Fay's Unity of Command & Direction
K.Narayana Moorthy, HR Consultant, India
Henry Fayol's 4th & 5th Principles are Unity of Command & Direction. These two are hand-in-hand principles.
FEATURES OF UNITY OF COMMAND:
- This advocates only one boss should give orders so that people can understand well and work systematically.
- With responsibility;
- It prevents dual sub-ordination;
- Becomes easy to fix responsibility on individuals;
- Brings harmonious and cordial relations in management;
- Performance will be effective and increasing;
- ADVANTAGES are: better relationships between superiors and sub-ordinates; clear authority, responsibility and accountability; prompt decisions;
FEATURES OF UNITY OF DIRECTION:
- One mind, one plan;
- Activities can be grouped;
- All efforts are towards common goal;
- There will be unity of actions;
- ADVANTAGES are: efficiency improves; better coordination among all; systematic working environment.
While Unity of Command builds and boosts morale and builds positive attitudes, Unity of Direction builds commitment, trust and loyalty.