3 Risks of Giving Too Much Employee Empowerment
Gandhi Heryanto, Management Consultant, Indonesia, Member
Employee empowerment is to empower employees to achieve a high level performance or to let the employee take ownership and accountability.
Some of the ways a leader can empower others are:
Marcel Schwantes in an article argues that when employee empowerment is overdone, you risk 3 potential train wrecks:
- Encourage self-directed decision making,
- Share information, and
- Coach others for performance.
I believe the Ranjay Gulati Framework described above and strong leadership could be able to prevent those potential train wrecks from happening.
- When you give employees too much authority to make decisions.
- When you give them too much access to important information.
- When an employee's level of authority becomes 'I can do whatever I want'.
Source: Marcel Schwantes, "