What Innovation and Improvisation Have in Common
Jaap de Jonge, Editor, Netherlands
It's also interesting to consider common characteristics of innovation and improvisation:
- Both are processes, activities
- Both are exploring uncharted territory
- Both are aimed at finding a solution for some practical problem, often involving technology.
- Both require/involve creativity
- Both have a tension inside of them in between the need for short-term flexibility and creativity versus the need to organize and find a more organized, permanent solution for the issue at hand.