Qualities of a Good Coach. Checklist
Everest Turyahikayo, Manager, Uganda, Member
The importance of coaching cannot be underestimated. However, identifying a good coach is far from easy. Here's a checklist of qualities for a good coach I recommend:
- More knowledgeable in the area
- Humble enough to accept corrections from the coachee
- Maintains a professional relationship with the coachee
- Is able to identify and weaken the 'sleeping giant' in the coachee
- Maintains records of appraisals in respect of coaching
- Listens to and observes verbal and non verbal communication from the coachee
- Knows that the coachee is not in 'tabula raza' but one who knows
- Respects the concerns of the coachee
- Communicates to the supervisors of the coachee
- Maintains confidentiality and protection of dignity of the coachee
- Prepares the coachee for transition from the current state to the next
- Empowers the coachee to coach others in the future.
Read all responses and join this discussion yourself.
Support your career and personal development with 12manage, the management platform.