Typical Disruptive Technologies
Jaap de Jonge, CEO, Netherlands, Editor
It is important that business and policy leaders understand which technologies might matter to them and prepare accordingly. But which technologies could drive truly massive economic transformations and disruptions in the coming years? McKinsey recently established a really good list of 12 disruptive technologies (obviously, some items may be more or less relevant to your own firm):
1. Mobile Internet - Increasingly inexpensive and capable mobile computing devices and Internet connectivity.
2. Automation of knowledge work - Intelligent software systems that can perform knowledge work tasks involving unstructured commands and subtle judgments.
3. The Internet of Things - Networks of low-cost sensors and actuators for data collection, monitoring, decision making, and process optimization.
4. Cloud technology - Use of computer hardware and software resources delivered over a network or the Internet, often as a service.
5. Advanced robotics - Increasingly capable r...