In the forum section you will find recent discussions within this knowledge area.
Dealing with Toxic Employees
Jaap de Jonge, Editor, Netherlands
In modern society and organizations, very negative, destructive, "toxic" team members may damage an entire organization or a team.
Typical examples of toxic behaviors are:
Curnow-Chavez gives the following 4 recommendations when you're faced with a toxic employee:
- Backstabbing, criticizing and blaming.
- Gossiping and spreading rumors.
- Agreeing in meetings, but not following through afterwards.
- Hoarding information (keeping it to themselves).
- Purposely undermining others (the leader).
- Caring only about personal agendas.
Source: Abby Curnow-Chavez, "4 Ways to Deal with a Toxic Coworker", HBR Fall 2018,...
- Have an honest conversation with the toxic person.
- Raise your own game and keep your ego in check. Be a role model and don't degrade yourself to the other person's level.
- Talk with your superior.
- Take care of yourself.