Dealing with Toxic Employees
In modern society and organizations, very negative, destructive, "toxic" team members may damage an entire organization or a team.
Typical examples of toxic behaviors
- Backstabbing, criticizing and blaming.
- Gossiping and spreading rumors.
- Agreeing in meetings, but not following through afterwards.
- Hoarding information (keeping it to themselves).
- Purposely undermining others (the leader).
- Caring only about personal agendas.
Curnow-Chavez gives the following 4 recommendations when you're faced with a toxic employee
Source: Abby Curnow-Chavez, "4 Ways to Deal with a Toxic Coworker", HBR Fall 2018, pp. 18-19
- Have an honest conversation with the toxic person.
- Raise your own game and keep your ego in check. Be a role model and don't degrade yourself to the other person's level.
- Talk with your superior.
- Take care of yourself.