The Benefits of Categorization
Jaap de Jonge, Editor, Netherlands
To answer your good question: actually there are major benefits to categorizing things in general:
1. Reduce the complexity of the environment.
2. Identify objects, perceptions, ideas and events.
3. Reduce the necessity of constant learning.
4. Plan how to treat classified entities (provide a basis for instrumental activity).
5. Order and relate categories as category systems.
6. Predict outcomes based on category properties.
7. Extend categories by adding fictive or predicted objects.
Source: Bruner JS, Goodnow JJ and Austin GA, A Study of Thinking
, New York: John Wiley, 1962, pages 12-21.