Fishbone Diagram in Brainstorming
Christian D. Clores, Member
You can indeed consider using a Fishbone Diagram as a guide for a brainstorming session.
This allows all involved to focus on one particular overall goal to achieve, while also taking advantage of everyone's expertise area. Approximate steps:
1. Explain the idea behind the diagram.
2. Explain the overall goal (e.g. make the annual sales quotum).
3. Explain the branches, for example:
- How can SALES generate new customers.
- How can MARKETING help to achieve more sales.
- How can AFTER SALES retain more customers).
4. Assign each individual to a branch according to his/her background.
5. Let each individual think individually for a couple of hours for ways to achieve the overall goal.
6. Ask everyone to present their ideas and evaluate it with the leader (linking all ideas).
7. Filter the ideas to come up with the final strategy.