Wearing the Blue Hat
One 'rule' no-one has mentioned: when using the six thinking hats for a group thinking session or meeting - while there maybe one person designated as the facilitator
and that person would be expected to wear the blue hat at all times in order to
- help the group remain focused
- to use the appropriate hat (everyone uses the same hat at the same time)
- to stick to time (time should be allocated for thinking with each different hat)
- to summarise thinking etc...
It is also very important to remember that the (only) hat that anyone can use at anytime is the blue hat
- this makes the process very democratic - anyone can put on their blue hat and take on a facilitation process role as the blue hat is for focusing, timing, thinking about the thinking that needs to be done - all the meta-process issues - anyone can wear the blue hat.