BSC for Engineering Services
Constructing a BSC is essentially the same for any organization and/or in cascading throughout the organization.
- First, focus on the outcomes: what results and value do you desire?
- Then be arranged the perspectives in cause-and-effect fashion to deliver on those intended outcomes. If "engineering services" represents a corporate entity, then you will likely follow the traditional perspective format. However, a support unit will construct a BSC that is focused on the internal customer.
- The perspectives can be the same:
* Financial: how does engineering services contribute to cost, revenue or asset utilization?
* Customer: whom does engineering services serve? What value do they expect?
* Internal processes: what processes (or operational services) must we provide (do well)
* Learning: what skills and/or technologies must we develop? (there may be some contribution to culture here too - modelling desired cultural behaviors).
Bottom line advise: construct your scorecard as a means to generate conversation