Different Types of Online Advertising
Since advertising is more and more moving to online
advertising, Campbell, Cohen and Ma present a quite useful list of types of online ads
. Perhaps it will be helpful for you to gather some new ideas for a new marketing campaign! The list:
1. SOCIAL VIDEO: Video content developed by a company with the goal of stimulating conversation, discussion, and co-creation.
2. VIRAL VIDEO: Video content created by a company with the goal of inducing pass-along behavior amongst consumers.
3. NATIVE ADVERTISING: Communications from a company that occur within a consumerís social network.
: Content created by a company and designed to copy the style and form of editorial content.
5. DISPLAY ADVERTISING: Visual content created by a brand and that runs distinct from editorial content. Payment for placement in time or space is made.
6. PUBLICITY: Content produced by the news media which reflects public relations efforts on behalf of a brand or company.
7. BRANDED (EDITORIAL) CONTENT: Content produced by the news media but for which a brand has some degree of editorial control.
8. EDITORIAL CONTENT: Content wholly produced by the news media and over which a brand has no direct or indirect influence.
9. SPONSORED (EDITORIAL) CONTENT: Content totally produced by the media but whose creation is in exchange for display advertising placement by the sponsoring company.
10. WORD OF MOUTH
: Content generated by a consumer outside of the company.
11. CONSUMER GENERATED ADVERTISING: Content created by consumers with pursuing the style and intention of advertising.
12. SPONSORED WORD OF MOUTH: Communications generated by a consumer.
13. CONSUMER GENERATED COMPETITION ADVERTISING: Created by consumers and which pursues the style and intention of advertising.
Is above list of online marketing approaches complete?
Source: Campbell, C. Cohen, J. Ma, J.(2014) Advertisements Just Arenít Advertisements Anymore; A New Typology for Evolving Forms of Online ďAdvertisingĒ Journal of Advertising Research. Vol 54. Iss 1. pp. 7-10.