Third Party Logistics Types | 3PL Services Provider Types
The following are characteristics of the different types of third party logistics services:
TRANSPORTATION BASED THIRD PARTY LOGISTICS SERVICES
• Services extend beyond transportation to offer a comprehensive set of logistics offerings.
• Leveraged 3PLs use assets of other firms.
• Non-leveraged 3PLs use assets belonging solely to the parent firm.
• Examples: Ryder, Schneider Logistics, FedEx Logistics, UPS Logistics
WAREHOUSE/DISTRIBUTION BASED THIRD PARTY LOGISTICS SERVICES
• Many have former warehouse and/or distribution experience.
• Examples: DSC Logistics, USCO, Exel, Caterpillar Logistics
FORWARDER BASED THIRD PARTY LOGISTICS SERVICES
• Very independent middlemen with forwarder roles.
• Non-asset owners that provide a wide range of logistics services.
• Examples: AEI, Kuehne & Nagle, Fritz, Circle, C. H. Robinson, Hub Group
SHIPPER/MANAGEMENT BASED THIRD PARTY LOGISTICS SERVICES
• Focused on the management of the shipping process from beginning to end.
• Provides technology, such as.