Coping with Change: The Future Is Already Within!
Method / Change and Organization
Coping with Change: The Future Is Already Within!
Guido Bouwman , Entrepreneur, Netherlands
Construct Organisational & Personal Empowerment: 'Change by Coping'
The COPE-MODEL (Construct Organizational & Personal Empowerment).
A proactive and synergetic COPE organization has the Value Profit Change as point of origin:
‘Intrinsic and extrinsic motivated, capable, productive and flexible employees who work in efficient, effective, problem solving and learning teams meet or exceed the expectations of the board of directors and customers and deliver excellent value to customers, stakeholders and investors who subsequently transform this in loyal buying and ambassador behavior and this translates itself in excellent financial results by which the organization is able to fascinate and bind current and new employees’
A lot of companies encounter difficulties to manage the impact of the trends and developments that arise from 7 phenomena.
TRENDS WITHIN 7 C's:
1. Context: The dominant paradigm of the organization
2. Contract (Psychological): The Multidimensional optimization
3. Communication: The non-dialogue
4. Chaos: The stability dynamics
5. Coaching Change: The classical evolvement belief
6. CO-Creation: Diverse objectives & multifarious information
7. Culture: The malicious and irrational abuse of power
BURDEN > BEARING CAPACITY
By the trends, changes and developments - in relation with the 7 C’s – the burden can become greater than the bearing capacity. Due to this, a situation of distress occurs in the organization (the organization is ill or is becoming ill).
'Demotivated, once capable, non productive, dissatisfied employees and inefficient, ineffective, problem maintaining and not learning teams do not meet or exceed the expectations of the board of directors and customers anymore and deliver poor value to customers, stakeholders and investors who subsequently show disloyal buying and ambassador behavior and this translate itself in infertile strategies, poor quality and inferior financial results by which the organization is no longer capable to fascinate and bind current and new employees’
INCREASE ORGANIZATION ILLNESS INSIGHT & AWARENESS
Organizations and their employees have to feel an urgency to change. A feeling of discomfort has to come into existence that the current situation is unwanted. The sick has to be shared, recognized and acceded. Furthermore, current and new employees has to be able to accomplish a change. A feeling of urgency has to be created. The organization must be stimulated – must get ready - for a new way of working.
COPE7 AS A COPINGSMODEL
By means of the COPE model the foundation is created of a pro-active and synergetic organization:
1. Context: Multi contextuality
2. Contract: Positive perception and feelings about the exchange relation with the organization
3. Communication: Open & honest communication
4. Chaos: Allow chaos and it will lead to a new order - coach chaos
5. Coaching Change: Negative and positive feedback
6. CO-Creation: Organize pro activity
7. Culture: Know the psycho gram of yourself, your CEO, your manager and your team
PRO- ACTIVE AND SYNERGETIC VITALISATION OF THE LOYALTYLINK
The output of a COPE7 organization:
1. Increase in employee satisfaction
2. Increase in customer satisfaction
3. Excellent Financial results and lower costs
4. Increase of the quality
5. Increase of creativity and innovation
6. Increase of the ability to create
Change within the COPE7context is seen as an organic process. With other words, the organizational change originates from the 7 steps. It’s not – something happens – we reactively undertake action and keep repeating this every time something occurs, but it’s change as a result of wanting to become better as an organization – as a core competence. The wish to become better as a system constantly.
Organizations develop and transform oneself within their internal and external context. Changes within this context creates ‘movement’ in an organization. This ‘movement’ nowadays often originates from the fact that they have to change considering the bad financial developments or because they cannot deal with the situation anymore. Not changing at that time means putting yourself out of the game.
It’s better if the movement - as a principal requirement - is already based in the organization. The difference between this reactive and pro-active principal requirement is that proactive organizations are better organized to see (grasp) the weak signals of new developments, to judge the impact of these new developments on their organization and to pro actively adjust their policy.
1. Is able to look from several point of views to her internal and external context and to lay the point of departure for her pro-active and synergetic ability.
2. The employees exhibit a high involvement (high intrinsic and extrinsic motivation) and a great sense of responsibility due to the formalization and the allowance to practice their psychological contract within the organization.
3. The communication is open and honest by which the daily dialogue is tangible, understandable and addressed to realize the desired output.
4. They understand that too much ‘old’ organization order leads to chaos and ‘new order’ can only come into existence if they accept chaos as a transition period towards a new – yet not comprehended – order.
5. The best practices of a new order only reveals itself as the executives (apparently also the CEO!) – within the defined context of the organization – create the conditions and give the employees a wide berth to experiment and stimulate them – in retrospection - with giving meaning to new findings.
6. Innovative policy only originates if they are capable to trace back a recognizable and profitable strategy from the best practices.
7. The preliminary steps leads organically – facilitated by top management – to the desired pro-active and synergetic organization culture.
THE LEVERS OF A PRO-ACTIVE AND SYNERGETIC ORGANIZATION
The levers of a pro-active and synergetic COPE7 organization are:
1. Employees with a highly intrinsic motivation (their own needs are met) & extrinsic motivation (their work is appreciated by colleagues and customers).
2. An effective (do the right things) and efficient (do the right things right) cooperation.
3. Employees with a great problem solving attitude.
4. Employees who have the ability to learn constantly (who also see the meaning of it and like it).
THE OUTPUT CRITERIA OF A PRO-ACTIVE AND SYNERGETIC ORGANIZATION
The output of this organization is being measured by:
1. Excellent financial results and cost control.
2. The satisfaction among customers.
3. The satisfaction among employees.
5. Creativity & Ability to innovate.
6. The ability to create.
THE CRUCIAL ROLE OF EXECUTIVES
Executives play an important role in this COPE7 organization process. They go through the change as an employee, but next to it they must lead this organizational change. This is a two-valued change path and asks for self-reflection, coaching and empowerment. The goal of this is to enable employees, to create the organizational conditions for employees to outshine. This means that executives must assign the mission, vision, core values, key issues and the strategy of the organization as concrete and understandable as possible. So understandable that employees in following their executives encounter meaning and inspiration. So concrete that they give the best that they have, because they have a sensible and inspiring exchange relationship with the organization - within the new constructed COPE7 context.
STRUCTURES AND SYSTEMS
A COPE7organization develops her own structures and systems to get the best out of the organization and out of every employee. Every organization that deliberately chose for this change process at this place knows her own ‘laws’. Her own manners to deal with, her own work structures, her own team appearances. In collective deliberation the – for that moment best – decision-making, systems and processes, hierarchy and leadership will come into being to obtain the desired result. This is not fixed in advance, because the best way, the best system or the best method is created by the 'new ' cooperation. In this way organizations create their own uniqueness. They cannot be imitated because they create their own organization with their own DNA figured in.
A pro-active and synergetic COPE7organisation ‘reads’ the whole. The whole of the organization, but also the whole of the division or the whole of the team. The organization by multi contextuality looks to the organization from multiple point of views. Because of that the outcome of seeing is enriched. They look at things in a different way and from that they see more than at an earlier date. They also see the interactions and their interdependence better than before, they understand why the ‘old’ organization could not function anymore and what must happen to construct a new organization to become and stay sustainable pro-active and synergetic. COPE7 helps an organization in achieving this by herself. The sculpture is already present in the rock. The desired future is already present in the current organization. COPE helps to reveal this. No more, no less!!
Can we COPE? Yes we can!!
About 12manage | Advertising | Link to us | Privacy | Terms of Service
Copyright 2017 12manage - The Executive Fast Track. V14.1 - Last updated: 26-3-2017. All names tm by their owners.