Disadvantages of MBOAbha Nagpal
, Student (MBA), India
1. Although it focuses an employee's attention on goals, it does not specify the behaviors required to reach them
. This may be a problem for some employees, especially new ones, who may require more guidance.
2. MBO also tends to focus on short-term goals
, goals that can be measured by year's end. As a result, workers may be tempted to achieve short-term goals at the expense of long-term ones
3. The successful achievement of MBO goals may be partly a function of factors outside the worker's control
4. Performance standards vary from employee to employee, and thus MBO provides no common basis for comparison
. For instance, the goals set for an "average" employee may be less challenging than those set for a "superior" employee. How can the two be compared?
5. MBO systems often fail to gain user acceptance
. Managers often dislike the amount of paperwork these systems require and may also be concerned that employee participation in goal setting robs them of their authority.